Monday, September 12, 2005

What Is and What Appears To Be

" Om"
It is such a rush- a creative exhilaration that takes over and transforms my way of thinking from ordinary observation to seeing through the eyes of my camera. The whole world instantly changes and I begin to see things in a new reality. Suddenly, lines, shadows, colors, and light speak to me in a language that is silent and ethereal. Everywhere I direct my eyes there are endless possibilities waiting to be witnessed and captured. I am drawn to a corner where brick meets weathered wood. Shadows, light and color undulate ,dancing a once in lifetime performance. I find myself lost in a dimension that becomes intoxicating and it takes me a while to regain my ordinary way of seeing things (if that was ever the case to begin with.)

It isn’t often that I truly capture what my eye sees in its original vision. Out of 20 shots perhaps two or three will result in the reality I want to convey. Sometimes I surprise myself and discover something entirely different in an image than what I had originally envisioned.

What is it that we see day in and day out that becomes plain and ordinary, so much so that we begin to take it for granted? Is it a view out a window, the building across the street, our reflection in the mirror or the face of a loved one? How is it possible that we cannot see the sacred dance going on about us all the time? Is it possible our part in the dance is taken for granted? Do we not even know our very breath and heartbeat is in keeping with a holy tempo?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plain and ordinary still....unseen and unattended....sad

12:50 PM  
Blogger Mark Walter said...

I really like it. "OM" looks like Om, a breathing Om at that. And it also looks like a religious icon at the same time. I like the B&W, and the angle, looking through and up with the sky in the background. Very cool effect. Also looks retro.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's unique that you can find your peace in your surroundings on a daily basis...it is sad for those who cannot see...great shot, Tom!
Love U
Cat

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool picture Tom! It does take a special talent to see things that others overlook everyday. "Kev"

5:08 PM  
Blogger Trev Diesel said...

...oh, that we would see through those eyes at all times. Thanks, Tommy, for wiping the mud from our windshields and allowing us to see reality as it is: Glorious, full of texture, light, shadow, color, like a perfect photograph... no matter the time or location... the situation at hand, pleasant or unpleasant. It is all a miracle. It is all perfect.

Many blessings, brother!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

I love your pictures.

And now, you've given me another enso, a stone one, to add to the barrage of enso that's hit me this week!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Sadiq said...

Beautiful ..

10:26 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Thanks, Tommy. I've been forgetful, lately...

This guy made a habit of taking and posting a photo every day. I'm starting to think it might be good for me, too, or at least to draw...

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter