Friday, September 02, 2005

Selflessness

Everywhere we see ordinary people doing whatever they can to help those in need recover from the effects of hurricane Katrina. It is a beautiful, inspiring time to witness the best in humanity coming together. Churches, businesses, civic groups, Boys & Girls Scouts; black, white, rich and poor-all joining in with the desire to do something. Many millions have given to organizations such as the Red Cross and America's Second Harvest assisting in the effort.

I was deeply touched when my brother and sister in-law generously offered to open up their home to a family in need. It is such a selfless act of empathy and courage to say "Here, here is my home and what I have...and it is open to you."

My brother-in-law, James, doesn't exactly believe the same as I do at times with regards to spiritual matters; he sees Spirit in his own unique and beautiful way which I respect him for immensely, but what he has done by offering of himself is align with the Intention that is the inspiration of the universe, the creating force that is all. It doesn't matter the name of this Intention...It is present in his heart, his family's hearts, and in every heart that opens up to give. Both he and his wife realize the truth that we all seek in our searching for a 'heavenly home'. Heaven is right here, right now- and he's creating the Garden with his very actions.

Hello All Of our Friends

Attached is a link to MoveOn - a nonprofit political action committee offering assistance to Hurricane Katrina Victims. You can visit this website at www.moveon.org or www.HurricaneHousing.org. My husband and I have posted an offer to open our home to a family in need of shelter. I thought I would pass this link on in the case any of you are in the position to offer assistance to other families without shelter. If you take a look at this site you will find that people from Florida to Ohio and beyond have opened their homes for victims. If by chance you know someone who lives in the area who needs a place today, please direct them to this website.

If you have any other information please contact me directly at work , home or by email. Judging from the response to the hurricane, I believe for a lot of victims the only assistance they will get is from people like us. Thanks!

All our love and hope,
James, Danielle, and Jeb


Much love, James, Danielle and Jeb; how much richer you are now! I love you all very much and think what you are doing is a beautiful act of kindness.

4 Comments:

Blogger They call him James Ure said...

What wonderful blessings are in store for your brother, your sister-in-law and the people they are going to put up. Thank-you for sharing this wonderful act of kindness. It warms my heart in a difficult hour for our country and world.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Buford said...

Thank you for the kind words Tom.
I do not like the feeling of helplessness and the only thing short of heading down south to help (Which the powers that be do not want us doing)i decided to open my house to a family. We have room, a large yard, a grill to cook on, clean food and water, we have normalcy. A place for at least one shattered family to sit and lick their wounds and heal.

I feel sad that it takes a tragedy to free the human spirit, but on the other hand I am filled with joy and confidence when I see the out powering of love and the selfless acts of thousands all over the world. There is hope for the flowers that will grow, again, in the cracks in the streets, the flower beds, the feilds, and the homes of the gulf coast.

We all should try to remember "He who saves one life saves the world over"
."

All our Love Tom

10:14 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Thank you for this web link to offer housing. It was exaclty what we were needing. Utilizing the link I just finished posting an available house! Here is my link:

http://www.hurricanehousing.org/katrina/request.html?housing_id=70461

Thank you so much Buford and Tommy!

4:04 PM  
Blogger isaiah said...

Bless you both- and all who are giving.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter