Tuesday, May 02, 2006

First Love


He says, “Mom can you help me write a note to my girlfriend, well… this girl I want to be my girlfriend and help attach this necklace I want to give to her to the note?”

Mom says, “Sure I can.”

Off he goes to school carrying with him the note, the necklace and the pangs of first infatuation smothered with the fear of a “yes”, or worse, a “no.”

I do hope for you, my son, she says “yes.” But try not to be too disappointed if she says “no.”

She says “no.”

He comes home and cries on mom’s shoulder. Mom just holds him.

I wish I could spare you the crying, spare you the heartaches and disappointments… but I cannot. This is your life and you are only on loan to us for a brief, glorious moment.

Be a little boy for a few more days…

6 Comments:

Blogger Trev Diesel said...

You're a good papa, Tommy.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Amy Harden said...

yuck. I can't even begin to imagine how much that hurts as a parent, seeing your child in pain.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very touching. excuse me while i cry.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Buford said...

And now he knows the true meaning of pain. Poor little guy.

But, as you said, we only have them for a short while.

Jeb still thinks girls are yucky, but I know those days are numbered.

12:08 PM  
Blogger They call him James Ure said...

I agree with Trev...you are a good father. In addition I agree with kevin. It was a very touching post.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daddy, where has our little boy gone? I think we are starting ona whole new era here. All we can do is be there, guide, and most importantly, LOVE. Let's hope we do it right.

Love U
Cat

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter