Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Aum


I’m debating getting a second tattoo now that it’s been a year since my first. I was hesitant to tell my family about my tattoo, write about my experience or display it here on my site for fear I was doing so from an egotistical point of view. I’m past that now; I know I did it for me, and no one else.

I chose the sacred Aum (Om, Amen) Sanskrit symbol for reasons I cannot fully explain here- but I knew beyond a doubt it was the perfect time and it was right for me and chose the area of my back closest to the Heart Chakra as possible. Ever since I was a small child I have felt an affinity with Eastern religions, especially Hinduism and Buddhism, but like most young Americans, I was raised in the Christian church. Perhaps, in a previous life I was Hindu or Tibetan.

It has allowed me to share the meaning of the Sacred Aum with those few who have asked what exactly it is. I keep it simple and say that Aum is the sister to Amen and is the sound of the universe unfolding according to God’s will. I don’t know if it’s a ‘good’ thing or a ‘bad’ thing that I haven’t been asked to elaborate on too many occasions…and it’s not like I run around everywhere without my shirt on :)

Now, whenever I think about the Aum or meditate with the sound emanating I know I have made it a permanent part of me, just as I know God’s presence is centered in me at all times- even when I am not centered in Spirit.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Cool, Tommy.

What are you considering for your second?

11:49 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Lovely :)

Is it truly possible to label as 'good' or 'bad', that which inexorably *is*?

12:04 AM  
Blogger Trev Diesel said...

I love the artist's work. It's a beautiful tat, Tommy - really is.

I've been putting off getting the 2 tattoos that I've wanted.

1.) Kalliopi's name in Greek characters.

2.) "Om Mani Padme Hum" in Sankrit

Not both in the same place, but either:
a.) On the inside of my forearm
b.) On my "left" chest by my heart
c.) On my "right" shoulderblade

Maybe we can go together when I'm down in SC in late June. :)

9:24 AM  
Blogger isaiah said...

Jon-
A smaller Celtic cross- I have strong Scotch Irish blood in me.

Julie-
It's all in divine order!

Trev-
Both sound divine. Ready a
design(s) and send it to me and I'll run it past a couple of artists whom I trust...I'll get some email links and send them to you so you can sample some of their work. We'll need to reserve a time slot as well.

Here's where I got my work done:

http://anonymoustattoo.com/

12:03 PM  
Blogger isaiah said...

Pastor Doug-

The more I learn of Eastern religions...the more I am brought back to my Christianity. Each knew discovery uncovers new meaning to the words of Lord Jesus.

All are beautiful pedals in the flower of Being.

6:06 PM  
Blogger CE said...

It's alot safer to begin and continue your exploration being skeptical rather believing everything. Believing everything can be very confusing.

12:52 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Isaiah/Tommy - if nothing else, yep! *grins*

9:12 PM  
Blogger They call him James Ure said...

Nice tat.

I am going to get the chinese symbols for buddha, dharma and sangha on left fore arm.

I don't see anything wrong with tattoos. Especially in the eastern traditions of not attaching to the body.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter