Thursday, February 15, 2007

Blogger Woes- Period (one space.)

OK, Blogger Beta still has massive kinks in it. I can't log in at blogger.com, but- I can comment at someone’s blog and then type "blogger.com" in my address bar, click, and there I am at my dasherboard.

Go figure.

Interesting note, and maybe someone can clarify this for me. My webpage guru at moonriverproductions.com tells me that the correct grammar for computers is one space after a period, not two, as we were taught using typewriters (anyone remember those?) It seems two spaces causes a large gap between sentences when he programs the MS Word copy I forward him to place as text on my webpage.

If correct grammar means only one space after a period- it's gonna take me forever to get this down. It's like having someone say metric measurements only are the rule now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Not to worry. On computer generated webpages and bulletin boards, the posted results are always one space even if you type two. :)

It is the convention with computers over typewriters because computer fonts adjust to letter widths whereas typewriters give the identical spacing to each letter, therefore requiring the second space to differentiate the first word of a new sentence.

Kepyboards create type that is proportionately spaced. Therefore, after a period in all fonts, there is a little extra space already built into the font style. :)

You can always do a find and replace in word while you're getting used to it.

Julie

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Julie just took the words out of my mouth.

1:18 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

I was taught two spaces, on computers. No matter how many spaces you use, if it's a WYSIWYG web publishing program, you'll get one. Don't know why. Web, one space. Other, two. I still automatically use two spaces if I'm capitalizing; if I'm not capitalizing, I use one. Odd.

Blogger made me switch, too. So far, so good...

1:20 PM  
Blogger Darrell Grizzle said...

I'm too "set in my ways" to stop using two spaces after a period, even though only one space shows up on most webpages. I will also continue to use a single apostrophe after a possessive word that ends in an S (i.e., St. James' Church, not St. James's Church), and I will continue to use the Oxford comma.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

too funny... I recently took a grammar class at work, because my grammar has always been borderline...

the instructor said that the 2 spaces after a period rule has changed and now can be either 1 or 2 spaces... of course, as noted above, on computer software the rules can mean different things...!

the instructor told us the only way to keep up with the changes in the grammar world (which somehow I thought were etched in stone long ago...)is to purchase new "grammar rule" software every now and then... which they were selling... of course!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter