Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Learning Who We Are

Ram Dass, that big, beautiful old wise man is teaching me something new. This new lesson is also being taught to me by my equally beautiful mother who was recently diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. The lesson is this: we can choose to perceive our bodies in various ways but we should be careful to not confuse who we are with the condition our body is in at any given moment.

This fits perfectly with what I sent my mom this morning- a quote from Graceful Passages by The Very Reverend Alan Jones:

Who you are cannot be contained in what is happening to you just now. You are part of a love story. You are desired and longed for. There are thousands of witnesses before you who would claim that you are held in the arms of love.”

No matter how strong or weak our bodies may be- there is more to our being than what we are experiencing through our senses; through our flesh and bone. But, I believe, only through our bodies and through our egos can we learn what it is we are meant to learn and allow our soul to heal realizing the perfection of here and now.

Be kind to yourself, be gentle with yourself, be loving to yourself- in doing so you will feel the way to open wider and embrace all beings with the same intensity and tenderness.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

I am sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. What is the prognosis?

I met Ram Dass once back in the early 80's - or was that the late 70's? You are right, he's a beautiful man. I still have my copy of Be Here Now :)

6:52 PM  
Blogger isaiah said...

Thank you for your thoughts. Just heard this afternoon the results from her pulmonologist & X-rays that the cancer is rapidly disappearing from her lungs- is almost indistinguishable. The cancer had formed rapidly and virtually closed off a bronchia tube- from the outside. It had spread to her liver and her spine (vertebra).

She is responding wonderfully to the chemo- although it is taking a toll on her. She’s strong- she’ll beat the odds.

I want to meet Ram Dass before he transitions. What a blessing you met him!

Yes, “Be Here Now” is a classic. “Still Here” is an excellent read as well- revealing and beautifully written.

How's your son doing? How are you?

Please send me your info as to how to gain entry to your blog.

Love & Light-

7:17 PM  
Blogger Trevor Harden said...

Tommy - it's wonderful to hear the good news that the chemo is working.

And that's a wonderful exhortation to be kind, gentle and loving to yourself.

9:19 AM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

I'm glad to hear your mom's recovering well.

11:34 AM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

There, I've posted something :)

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way you summed up the essence of who we are and that we are no privy to things that are happening to us. Hope you mom is doing well on the chemo. I know it's hard to watch someone you love go through that. It was very tough on Kerry. Thinking about you and your family always - Kev'

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will pray for you dear mother, and for you also, brother, and your family. Praise God that the chemo is working. Thank you for the beautiful lesson.

Peace and Blessings!

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter