Monday, October 29, 2007

Just What I Needed


Words of wisdom "discovered" this morning on musician David Orri's website.

Check out his beautiful song, "Chicago"


"I don't know if I believe in the idea that there's one person out there for us. That seems a little limiting for such an expansive universe. But I do like the word "soul" and I do like the word "mate."

I've heard Wayne Dyer say, many times, that our soulmates are most often the ones who can just totally get our proverbial goat. The person who can just get right into that disarming, sometimes disorienting, and always very sensitive point right at our center, and in one way or another, drive us to edge of crazy and 100 miles beyond that edge. Most of us have a sibling who is a soulmate of sorts in that way- - for good and otherwise.

Only the people who get right into the center of our heart like that can get a rise out of us-- again, be it a 'good' or 'bad' one-- either way. And man, have I been given plenty of evidence of that lately.

But it's also interesting to 'take the seat of the observer' and watch what 'I' am doing in the moment of reaction. And it's interesting because, to reference Dyer again, if you squeeze an orange, orange juice comes out, the kind of juice is what is because it's in there to begin with, not because it got squeezed. If life squeezes me-- applies pressure or stress, or if a person or a relationship offers a stress or pressure point, and what comes of me is anger, defensiveness or negativity, that's what was in there. The only thing the stress did was reveal what was already there, laying in wait to reveal itself.

Life is full of little Buddhas, teachers, who cross our path and shine a light for us. And again as Dyer points out, sometimes our soulmates in life are those Buddhas and we'd like to kick their ass for shining it right in our face. But as I learn to allow more deeply, see myself in the center of some negative reaction, I am learning to relax into it- keep part of myself seated in that observer's position and just note, "Yep, there's sadness masquerading as rage" and not grab onto it and turning it into something tragic-- "MY" sadness or "MY" rage. I'm learning to allow the coming and going of the different tides, and not let it run away with me. I'm learning to stay present. Breathing. But also not getting down on myself when I'm in a place of not-allowing, as well. And little by little, those soulmates and Buddhas come along to show me where I'm clinging or resisting, and I do loosen my grip. Just a little. And then a little more the next time. Until finally, there is a little more space.

And ironically, in the increasing openness of allowing and not needing to grab onto anything or repel anything-- including my own negative reactions-- my life becomes a little more spacious and a little more expansive. And has room for those things I always wanted to flow into my life-- things I had so wanted to clutch onto and cling to, but no longer need to. Because when I step out of the way, it just flows in on its own.

Including those much sought-after soulmates and Buddhas who come to shine their lights. And the best part is that it turns out, their lights are not as blinding and irritating as I might have previously thought once the eyes have adjusted. They're just illuminating.

So, to the handful of 'soulmates' who I think are shining some pretty intense spotlights on areas of my life... I kind of wanted to kick your collective ass for that. But it turns out, that's probably just proof I really did need what you were offering up... so... thanks. I appreciate you."

6 Comments:

Blogger anonymous julie said...

And that unsurprisingly links right into a conversation I was having the other day. Thanks, Tommy.

3:37 PM  
Blogger E said...

Nice post. I usually find the wind's too knocked out of me to do much ass kicking though!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

I had an experience like this recently myself. I'll post on it soon.

Suffice it to say for now that yes, the emotions really come from within.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Sadiq said...

nice sharing indeed. yes i also dont necessarily feel that there has to be one out there! there could be more than one. as u said, 'handful'.

infact sufism (islamic mysticism) do talk about an idea of group souls who are connected, esoterically who were given the same amount of primordal light upon their soul which connects them. no matter how far and wide they are, they bump into one another from very strange connections which are hard to comprehend.

may we all get nourished in our meeting with such handful dear souls.

peace be with you all.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can somehow relate to that. i see it like this; there's things we're in control of and there's things beyond our control, in the hand of God. now, if we just focus on the things we can change and choose and leave the rest to the divine decree, you attain this sense of inner peace.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having found my soul's mate after many years, I can attest that there is such a thing. More importantly, all that I know of love I have learned from the women in my life.

Ya Haqq!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter