Saturday, August 12, 2006

What's The Matter?

I want to be happy. I want everyone else to be happy too.

It was not my intent to cause alarm or fear with yesterday’s link to the article by Bernard Lewis. To be honest, fear was my first reaction upon reading what horrors might unfold in the near future- I was fearful for myself, my family, and my world.

Paramahansa Yogananda likens the world unto a theater. Each of us is seated in the theater watching this life unfold up on the screen. We lose ourselves in the antagonist, protagonist; all the events unfolding, both good and bad. We believe what we see in front of us is the real thing. Eventually the movie is over, the credits roll, the lights come back up and we leave the theater, exiting out into the light, back into reality.

Strange how we forgot we were watching actors on a screen. We seldom, if ever, glance back to the projection booth to witness the light and shadow casting the great play onto the screen.

The question is- what matters? Does it matter what may happen on August 22 or at any time in the future? Yes, of course it doesn't.

I would ask this question of my wife’s 20 something year- old cousin whose fiance’ just died in his arms from cancer. Earlier this year, facing chemotherapy, they lost their baby who was in her womb.

I would also ask this of my 10 year old nephew and 11 year old son and his friends- all just starting a new school year; filled with vibrant, young life- sure to be filled with many exciting days, years ahead.

I can only rest here at this point. There is no greater mystery- and in the Light of its presence, I can only rest here- deep inside the question, the mystery.

There is no greater beauty than this. Sometimes it hurts… and I know I am alive.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People tell me I think to much. I thought a lot about the WSJ article when I read it and I decided people are right. I do think to much. I am going to focus on living each moment and being here now in my wonderful like with all it's flaws.

3:59 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

What's the matter?

Nothing, really.

(Not that that helps how things seem.)

My nose is pretty stuffed up, though, and that's rather annoying...

12:37 AM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Nose is better today (must not be allergic to cats!) but mostly just want to repeat this:

There is no greater beauty than this. Sometimes it hurts… and I know I am alive.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Interesting. I posted similar thoughts tonight. I wasn't too long ago, I'd have been "caught up," but now, I know it's just shadows on the wall. Plato's Cave, Yogananda's movie, God's play.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I think it's worth saying three times: "There is no greater beauty than this. Sometimes it hurts… and I know I am alive."

Yes.

And in just that way, the fear and pain get taken up into it all.

Thanks for this post.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Buford said...

"There is no greater beauty than this. Sometimes it hurts… and I know I am alive."

I love this!!

Do we go quietly into that future? Or, do we fight to the death to maintain our standard of living?

I will fight.

Embrace the mundane, because one day we may all be wishing for it

9:10 AM  
Blogger rama said...

Thank you! Best, rama

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah dear brother, what beauty you conjure out of life's pain and joy. And you raise good questions. Is individual life important? is it only the race that must survive, and the individual, no matter how much he strives, is not as important, except to himself or herself? Is what we see a dream, and what we hear a tale, as the Urdu poet Kwaja Mir Dard says?

Is death important, since we all reurn to God in the end? Are we here just to enhance the awareness of the Divine? To evolve toward the Godhead?

Too many questions. You were right, sometimes it hurts, and we know we are alive.

Peace and Blessings!

11:41 AM  
Blogger isaiah said...

bar- Ditto...thinking! What was I thinking?

Julie- sniff...it seems we both understand beauty.

Jon- read your post and need to make time to comment..."Shadows on the wall" we mistake for the real thing- I know...

Andrew- yes, how much fear and pain can we absorb? As much as we allow ourselves to rest in.

Buford- even the fight...is "It".

Rama- Thank you & Namaste'

Irving- yes, so many questions that amount to nothing. All is in order, my friend. Peace.

Thank you all for your remarks and comments.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Hello Isaiah, lovely heartfelt words. True concern... and yes, fear spins off and grows like an explosion in slow motion.. amazing what it can do...!

Caring about beings is the loveliest aspect of Humanity... it is the Heart in manifestation... sitting in it's center... as it all unfolds... nothing matters... and everything matters... it is where pain and expansion meet and merge... and Bliss is born...

5:43 PM  
Blogger isaiah said...

Kathleen- "Caring about beings is the loveliest aspect of Humanity... it is the Heart in manifestation" Yes, this matters and is everything and everything.

Vasu- Yes, the screen is indeed white and only represents a canvas we paint with our thoughts and beliefs. When will we ever learn?

11:01 AM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

"There is no greater beauty than this. Sometimes it hurts… and I know I am alive."

isaiah - it's
completely.nondescript((please, no spam!, at))gmail.com

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter