Thursday, August 17, 2006

The End & Beginning

The end of this story is a new beginning.

Endings always signal the start of something revolutionary advancing us on to another ending, where a new beginning waits.

I met my wife as a result of pursuing my bliss, fell in love, got married, and we had a son and lived happily ever after. The End.

I’m sure it’s not the ending you were expecting…yeah I did meet one of the Allman Brothers when I was 16 and we played guitar and drove around the mountains making music and getting drunk…I toured with bands, made music, had fun, got drunk (a lot), etc. etc.

And had each and every step along the way not happened- I would never have met Cathy and we would not have fallen in love, nor would we have our son, Tommy.

See, the way it all happens is never the way we imagine. We’re not so great that we are able to clearly have it all happen the way we plan- until we rest in the moment and realize it all happens for a reason… and we’re never gonna know THE REASON (if you do know, please tell me). When this realization comes along- we begin to see it all clearly fall into place in a whole new way. Everything becomes beautiful and every person and experience vital, connected, and above all- exquisitely mysterious. Nothing is broken, nothing needs mending, everything and everyone is perfect as is.

You’ve got to embrace each moment as it is because there’s a path you’re blazing every second, it doesn’t exist beyond this moment; you’re co- creating your way into your destiny. How you embrace the moment determines the quality of the next moment, and the next, and the next. It's all really just "One Big Moment" anyway.

I’m creating a new space for my path ahead by realizing I’m not the business man I thought I was and never will be the business man I need to be, to be “successful” in my world. I just don’t operate that way, I’m “too gentle to run with the wolves” in the business world and don’t really care to try anymore.

What do I really want to do? I want to be that cowboy I dreamed of being when I was a kid. I want to grow my hair, slip my earrings back in, make music, and buy a farm. I’ve got it in me, it’s there waiting right now, all I’ve got to do is pick up my guitar and start writing. Anything can happen if you believe enough.

“I grew up a-dreamin' of bein' a cowboy, and Lovin' the cowboy ways.”

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys, recorded by Willie Nelson

7 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

"...happily ever after. The End"
Great... so great... that is what I call Living Life... :) many blessing to you and your beautiful family.

"THE REASON".... yes we never know... and that is so much better than knowing..! (I got stung by a bee about 15 minutes ago... amazing it was like it was waiting for me, stung me right on a Kidney point on the inside of my ankle... have a feeling the meridian needed a jolt :) but really, don't know! could be that the echo of the "Ouch" rang out to touch other beloved notes in the universe... only... don't know... Only... don't Know... :)

12:17 PM  
Blogger Buford said...

Finally!! It’s about time.

I understand all too well that we must come to an impasse…..well maybe not so much a stalemate but more a realization that it’s time for a change. Of course you know I don’t subscribe to the “everything happens for a reason” theory; however, that being said I do believe that it doesn’t matter what motivates you to follow your dream or aspiration just as long as you work to have them come to fruition.

Yes it is all “One Big Moment” but, we have more control over the moment than we think, some moments are far more productive than others, and when we take control of the moments we advance our goals far more effectively.

We must remember, as humans time is finite and although some would say “it’s never too late.” in reality, at some point, it will be. Time is of the essence. Tommy it’s time to seize the day and in doing so also the moment. Do not leave it up to “Divine Order.” Make your own order.

The musician and the teacher farming their land, mending their fences, storing for winter, selling their wares, and occasionally “stumbling around drunk down on the farm” Sounds good doesn’t it?

“The frost is on the pumpkin and the hay is in the barn
Happiness comes a rambling on stumblin around drunk down on the farm.”

James Taylor
“Walking man”

12:21 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

The genius of the movie "Peaceful Warrior" is that it illuminates the difference between our loves vs. our desires.

Socrates scolds Dan for slipping into a desire, but scold him even more harshly when he quits pursuing his love (gymnastics).

Sounds like you love being a singing cowboy. Do it.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Celeste said...

That was some photo yesterday.

When I met my DH, he had short hair and looked like a politician. He'd formerly had long hair, but cut it all off thinking it'd help his career. Luckily I'd met him online first and knew his personality, since I doubt I'd have been interested if I'd seen him first, he looked so straight at the time. Lesson for me about judging book covers.

Now he's grown it back down his back again, but unfortunately the career and renovating our house severely cuts into his songwriting and recording time.

Speaking of which, we are going to see the Allman Bros on Sunday in ATL.

I saw Willie a few years back in Asheville, that old bugger played for over 3 hrs straight without a break, finally I left I was so tired. He did me in. My sister saw Willie stark nekkid on the balcony of a French Quarter hotel once, too bad she did not have a camera.

Buck Owens. From my DH's hometown, Bakersfield, CA. I saw Buck live in his club there, Crystal Palace. He told horrible mysoginistic jokes about his ex-wives. When my father in law died, we saw Buck's crypt in the cemetery. Buck had purchased it in advance. It's a walk in crypt and the door pulls are shaped like life sized guitars. There is an interesting graveyard custom in Bakersfield...most of the graves had wind chimes and whirligigs on sticks, blowing in the wind. Buck passed on not long ago, so I guess he's there now with his guitar door handles and the wind chimes.

You like N.O. music? Check out a local musician named Kermit Ruffins.

12:09 AM  
Blogger z said...

It's so interesting seeing how everything just fits. If you hadn't made one of the decisions you did, you wouldn't be the same! That's the most amazing thing.

A farm sounds real nice... Go for it!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely post, though actually it has no End. Brother, if you ever buy a farm, I will be happy to be farmhand and work for you :)

8:44 PM  
Blogger Trev Diesel said...

It's the web of being, where every action, every person, every event is a jewel that reflects every other and it all just shines and makes perfect sense! We're exactly where we are and that's where we "should" be!

Thanks Tom, for the cool autobiography... and the deep truths therein.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter