Tuesday, March 29, 2005

One

This, my doing and
that, your doing-all sacred motions,
words, deeds, and thoughts.

I’m watching the flames dance up into the darkness.
I hear the crackling of the fire and the tumbling stream singing.
There is a call of a night bird across the way on a distant shore.
The night sky is black and the stars cut through as if scattered opals.
My thoughts are that I am alone at my camp.
My heart warms and then glows at this foolish reflection.
Together, by fire and stream, we watch and we listen to silence speak.

3 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

In Australia, the Aboriginals have a sacred experience as they sing around the campfire together. They explain it this way:

At night as I sit by my campfire
the Great Serpent Spirit a'star
I sing songs of love to the Presence within
as It plays with the sparks on my fire.

***
Our experience of the silence, and of the spiritual flame, are universal. We are one.

Thank you for this beautiful poem, Tommy.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

"Listening to silence speak."

That sums it up beautifully!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Buford said...

This so simply shows what it is to lean on nature. How when we are in the outdoors, peace speaks louder than noise, for all the sounds you descibe in this poem are not noise. They are a part of silence, of peace. We use nature to rejuvinate ourselves. we use nature to reconnect with the natural world which is the very first world we are connect to in our lives.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter