Thursday, January 31, 2008

What The F*&@!

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A video showing California slaughterhouse workers abusing dairy cows -- a violation that raises questions about U.S. food safety -- was released by the Humane Society of the United States on Wednesday.

The video, which one lawmaker said raises questions about the safety of the nation's food supply, shows Hallmark Meat Packing Co. workers administering repeated electric shocks to the downed cows -- animals that are too sick, weak or otherwise unable to stand on their own. Workers are seen kicking cows, jabbing them near their eyes, ramming them with a forklift and shooting high-intensity water up their noses in an effort to force them to their feet for slaughter.

Hallmark Meat Packing Co., based in Chino, California, sells beef to its sister company, Westland Meat. The facility is a major supplier to a USDA program that distributes beef to needy families, the elderly and to various other federal food programs including the National School Lunch Program.

Read more here.... if you think you want to... needless to say, the video is extremely disturbing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

I can't read it or watch it, I cried when I heard it on the news. This reminds me of why I became a vegetarian back in high school. I read a book called "Diet for the New America" which came out in the 80's, I couldn't look at meat the same after that.

Chino is about 50 miles west of me. Its a huge COW TOWN and that's pretty much all there is out there. The next time I drive through there I will be saddened.

4:56 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

it's funny that i was writing about everything, somehow, being okay. asking how animal cruelty fits in with everything being okay is like asking why God lets bad things happen to good people. what answer will actually satify a sense of injustice?

12:48 AM  
Blogger iamthewhiterabbit said...

I agree with Barbara...I find it hard to watch. But maybe everyone in America should be forced to watch, which may cause them to re-evaluate their priorities. I have the same problem with Animal Cops on Animal Planet. The cruelty of my race astounds me!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Well, I agree with both the POVs here. I find fuel in this to restart a vegan detox program (I had started one in November but abandoned it too soon).

And yet,with Julie, although I can't feel it, I also know that everything's OK. It's something I have to take on faith, while feelings impel me to act in concordance with them.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter