Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Direction

I'm glad I lost my way
because here I am now,
where I would not have been
had I followed direction,
and the wind blows the signpost about
-so,
which way was I to go?

My meandering has purpose,
and even though there is
straightness in the going,
I squint my eyes and imagine the road
snaking back on itself,
lapping and loving the path it takes.

I don't know a hiker who likes
to walk an even path all the time,
there has to be hills, streams, rocks
and the element of losing one's self along the way-
...and the ending up exactly where you planned,

well, what could be a more disturbing thought
than that?

1 Comments:

Blogger Trev Diesel said...

Hahaha... as a fellow "hiker" who gets lost on his "walks" occasionally and also often questions/judges his reasons for lostness, I really GET this poem.

From the Lemony Snicket movie:

"And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may, in-fact be the first steps of a journey."

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter