Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Thank You

I am a slow learner. Just when I think I can sufficiently rise above certain thoughts, behaviors, and attitudes I am almost invariably confronted with a circumstance that teaches me…. “the lesson continues- different day, same chapter and verse.”

I believe all souls have one life lesson to learn, which we asked to learn before entering our earthly bodies. I believe I know what my life lesson is. Patience. I’m not the most patient person you’ve ever come across. I have my moments…but, I lose my patience at the most inopportune times and under the quirkiest of situations…and I know better. Our spiritual leader at Unity Church says if we can think of people or circumstances that push our buttons we know two things: we have buttons that can be pushed and that we are students of those people and circumstances- the button pushers are the Master (the teacher will appear when the student is ready.)

So, here’s to my teachers- my Masters in disguise…I recognize you and honor you.

Thank you, my dear son- all of 10 years old for teaching me patience in the light of your perfect being. Messy rooms, sloppy hair, moments your actions seem to make me late out the door in the mornings and to karate and Cub scout practice….you too are learning and growing. I cannot totally control your actions…only my reactions. In eight years you will be gone to collage. How trivial these things are in the scheme of it all. Thank you for teaching me the lessons of patience.

Thank you, dear wife- my companion of 15 wonderful Christmases and 11 years of marriage. When your actions don’t meet with my expectations, when your words sometimes leave me utterly confused, when your spiritual pathway is found on the flipside of my spiritual map - I know you still love me unconditionally. I want you by my side when we’re both in our 70’s, relaxing on the front porch listening to Led Zeppelin and RUSH with the grandkids. Thank you for being strong in the face of life, for being my friend and for teaching me the lessons of patience.

Thank you family and friends. For the moments of downright complete befuddlement when I fail to understand that you too are going about learning life’s lessons as best you can. Thank you for your love and for accommodating my selfish ways. It really is all about family and friends. I do love you and I am learning that what I think is important for you isn’t necessarily correct. Thank you for teaching me patience and how to love more openly and in broader terms of endearment.

Thank you bumper to bumper traffic, both to and from work, and all you people who just can’t drive. Thank you for teaching me that the highway department is never going to get around to building TOMMY’S LANE and that I just need to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Thank you Weezer and Mr. Frodo, two cats that have it all. For your waking me up in the night with either calls for food or the outdoors or with the retching sound of hairballs regurgitating onto my ivory carpet. Your warmth, affections and complete devotion to us are enough to warrant your odd and often annoying behavior. Thank you for teaching me to take a deep breath, exhale…and remember the lesson of patience you are teaching.

Thank you clients that call and ask for the seemingly impossible. Thank you for teaching me it’s all in the follow-up and keeping with the attitude that “the impossible just takes a little while longer to accomplish.”

Thank you dial-up modem and hopelessly obsolete HP computer for showing me that …well, I’m working on this one.

In the words of Alanis Morissette:

“thank you India
thank you providence
thank you disillusionment
thank you nothingness
thank you clarity
thank you, thank you silence...

the moment I let go of it was the moment
I got more than I could handle
the moment I jumped off of it
was the moment I touched down.”

4 Comments:

Blogger Trev Diesel said...

...and thank YOU for 'blogging' so that the rest of us can join you in the Journey! (What a fun post!)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Tommy,

I second what Trev said, and would add:

Not patient!?! You balance rocks into columns for photographs and you're impatient?!?!
:-)

3:57 PM  
Blogger isaiah said...

Jon,

You see...the rocks were already in place when we arrived- about 100 or so groups balancing on large boulders....we added a few (mine were 3-4 rocks high)but nothing compared to those that were already in place. I was too busy taking pictures!

Thanks for your response...I guess the patience was in balancing myself as I crouched down into crevises to get just the right angle. I still wiped out and landed in the cold water...!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Thank you for these Alanis Morissette lines. I am touched by them... "Thank you, thank you silence." Often it is in the breathing silence that true patience is found.
M

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter