Wednesday, July 05, 2006

4-5, 5-6, 6-7 = A Pain in the Neck

Received the news on the MRI scan from last week.

Ever had an MRI? It’s quite an isolating, ethereal procedure where the body is suspended inside a closed capsule- the senses are dampened by earplugs and tiny goggles- while various beeps, buzzes, chirps, and other assorted noises bathe you in a sci-fi wash of sensory animation as magnetic resonance performs it’s magic. Oh, and you must remain completely still for 15 minutes while all of this is happening. Strangely enough I rediscovered the same space, the same frame of mind I found myself in while I was being inked.

It appears my neck has "advanced spinal stenosis” (narrowing of the spinal column due to bone spur growth which compresses into the nerves) between cervical discs 4&5 and 5&6. The disc between 6&7 is completely worn and bulging, which also is compressing on the spinal column. On a scale of 1-10 my doctor rates my neck between an 8 and 9 with 10 being the worse she’s ever seen.

Now, the good news… It does ‘feel’ as if it isn’t getting any worse. I am still up and walking, working and going about my business. For this, I am thankful. Here is where the eternally optimistic, rose-colored glasses wearing me comes into full play. I know beyond a doubt that where circumstances appear less than favorable there are blessings of the most bewildering kind surrounding. At least I have options and they will play themselves out accordingly…all in divine order.

8 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

Sounds like this would really hurt, maybe even hurt a lot. But attitude has an amazing effect on pain, yes? Your outlook is wonderful. Not that it will help every day, but more ofen than not, attitude does make a difference. Rose colored glasses, it would seem, are a very good thing. We see what is right, and this often guides our attitude, not to mention our outcome. I wish you the best, my friend.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God bless you and guide you through this. He is both pain and cure, as you seem to know. My prayers are with you.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Trev Diesel said...

Hey man, glad to hear things are starting to come together to edge you on toward wholeness. Glad to hear you're keeping optimistic and that things aren't getting worse, and I hope even more that the "options" presented may get you to the place where you're feeling completly whole and well again.

Blessings-

9:38 AM  
Blogger Amy Harden said...

Holy shit. That really sounds scary.

Glad to hear that you are in such optimistic spirits and hope for a "miracle" answer to get you back to great again.

9:36 PM  
Blogger They call him James Ure said...

I'm glad that you are looking after yourself. I know that faith has can be one of the best medicines out there.

4:16 PM  
Blogger CE said...

We all have spiritual and physical trials. And they prove or disprove our ideas.
Hoping for your recovery and long life.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice said...

One of my friends has spinal stenosis, which she found out when they tried to give her and epidural to help with back pain. No fun.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

MRI is NOT fun at all! I had it when I was in junior high school, and it was scary. I hate it so much.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter