Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Green Way

Photo by Anton Leroy

I have this map that I own and keep out of sight
for no particular reason,
fold-worn and frayed with penned remarks
highlighting back roads, bends marking season
and at times when I feel I need some direction
I unfold what has become my arrangement,
I go where I go, never lost, although
my meandering is a peculiar estrangement
with what most hold to firmly, dear and deep in their hearts-
bless them, we all must be true
to the compass that steers and guides us along
making me, me and you, you
but, never the less, I am what I am
and I’m glad you are what you are,
us all quite the same would be a most curious game
and life’s riddle even more so bazaar.


So, on days like today when the air around stirs,
when the road clear is unbound and alluring,
I look to my map and chart a new path; a route green,
unmarked, reassuring.
How else could it be? I feel more alive
and there’s no sure course set for the knowing,
I’ve planned my stay the opposite way
I’m at my best when I don’t know where I’m going.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

Did you write that? I love it.

I also really enjoyed yesterdays quote by Marianne Williamson, it brought back some great memories of reading her. I must do that again.

Thank you.

You sure know a lot for a guy who knows nothing :)

2:40 PM  
Blogger Trevor Harden said...

Bravo, tommy. I love it.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Darrell Grizzle said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere, Tommy. Beautiful poetry and captivating photo!

Also: I've tagged you to play "Random 8" - details at my Blog of the Grateful Bear (May 31st entry).

3:20 PM  
Blogger E said...

That is a great poem. Made me smile. Love the flower photos too.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Great poem. And wonderful picture. Thanks.


(I couldn't comment on the previous post yesterday--but looks like that's fixed now.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Buford said...

"I enjoy the feeling of being lost in life, because in my heart the meaning of life is in the searching."

It's fun being "Lost in Real Life."

Welcome back my friend.

The road to enlightenment goes everywhere yet interestingly it never ends.

The Catawba River is calling you. I heard it last weekend.

10:51 AM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Tommy, is this your work? I really like it... rhymes and all. The whole thing feels very fluid.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter